The Junior League of Midland, Inc. is proud to announce the official launch of its newest community initiative Pink Pantry. The League will hold a pink ribbon-cutting ceremony on Wednesday, August 21, 2019, at 12:30pm at Goddard Junior High School in Midland.
Pink Pantry is a collaboration with Communities in Schools of the Permian Basin to make feminine hygiene and basic hygiene supplies (including pads, tampons, feminine wipes, shampoo, and soap) available to students in need at several MISD secondary schools – Goddard Junior High School, Alamo Junior High School, Midland Freshmen High School, Lee Freshmen High School, Midland High School, and Lee High School. These hygiene boxes will be stationed with Communities in Schools campus coordinators and students will have access to the hygiene boxes at any time, no questions asked.
This project was born from sobering statistics around kids missing school because they do not have access to basic hygiene supplies:
• At puberty, a girl’s confidence plummets with the onset of menstruation, marking a low moment for many girls.
• Nearly 1 in 5 girls have either left school early or missed school entirely because they did not have access to period products.
• Lack of access to hygiene products can have a negative effect on the lives of children and teens, leading to bullying, social stigma, and low self-esteem.
• 1 in 4 adult women have struggled to purchase period products in the past year due to lack of income.
• Government benefits programs like Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and Women, Infants and Children program (WIC) do not cover non-food items, including toiletries and sanitary products.
This project was developed to fill the gap of this overlooked need in the community. Junior League of Midland members will identify what supplies are needed, then collect and deliver the supplies to the schools on a regular basis. Monetary and/or product donations in support of this project may be made on Junior League of Midland’s website or at Junior League of Midland’s headquarters.
For more information, contact Junior League of Midland at (432) 682-4732, email firstname.lastname@example.org